What you will do
Imec’s photovoltaic group is an internationally recognized research group thanks to its expertise, extensive industrial network and world-class laboratories. The present position is in the Energy System Simulation team located on the Energyville Campus in Genk.
In the last five years imec has developed a patented and extensively validated high-accuracy PV system energy yield simulation framework, based on which a launch of a new product/venture is in progress. Combining the in-depth technical insights of imec with system simulation principles and advanced computing approaches the imec PV yield simulation framework has reached unprecedented accuracies. Owing to these achievements we have numerous research and industrial projects to further expand the framework towards novel PV system technologies, assist their operations and maintenance through generation forecasting and fault detection. We also envision to expand this simulation approach to solar fuels and other form of renewables. In collaboration with a world-wide network of collaborators imec is developing a high accuracy energy management framework using similar principles as its PV system yield simulator.
In our rapidly growing international team of researchers, postdocs and graduate students we are looking for a Senior Researcher to guide the next stage of the technical development.
In this role, your main tasks are:
- Lead 1-2 own research projects and guide the work of graduate and post-doc researchers in related projects
- Follow the progress of other industrial and academic R&D groups and participate in international working grous (e.g. IEA)
- Generate creative research ideas with industrial relevance
- Write and lead projects
- Deliver beyond the state-of-the-art research results
This topic is part of the core strategy of the Energy System Simulation team located on the Energyville Campus in Genk. The new state-of-the-art PV and smart building lab characterization facilities in EnergyVille will be leveraged in the project.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You are a self-motivated creative thinker with an outstanding scientific/technical track record. Furthermore, you:
- Have a PhD degree in Science or Electrical/Computer Engineering
- Have experience in advanced multi-disciplinary modelling, preferably in the (renewable) energy domain; know Python and/or Matlab programming
- Are familiar with machine-learning based modeling
- Are well organized and have experience in managing complex and international projects
- Can report to the management of the energy department and give input to mid- and long-term strategy definition
- Take initiative and work independently, while being part of a team
- Can schedule your work according to deadlines and deliverables
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills in English