No Dutch vacancy text available, because good knowledge of English is required for this position.
EnergyVille is currently looking for an experienced sustainability and energy systems expert to strengthen the Sustainable Energy Systems Assessment & Modelling (SESAM) team.
EnergyVille is a collaboration between the Belgian research partners VITO, KU Leuven, imec and UHasselt in the fields of sustainable energy. SESAM is a dynamic multidisciplinary team of researchers with strong international connections to academic, research, and industrial organizations working on the development of energy system models and sustainability assessment frameworks to explore long-term scenarios with a 2050 horizon. Our energy system thinking approach is applied to renewable energy technologies including (but not limited to) Power-to-X, carbon capture and sequestration, batteries and solar cells.
The team is looking for an experienced person willing to develop and integrate further sustainability assessment tools such as life cycle assessment (LCA) and energy systems models and bring these improvements to the market so to contribute to a more sustainable and climate-neutral economy. Interested to contribute? Read on!
In this position, you will:
- be responsible for coordinating and conducting research-based, knowledge-intensive consultancy projects for industries and public institutions. You will work in a team, but will also be responsible for carrying out consultative assignments independently.
- take up a lead in preparing client offers. This will include exploratory talks with potential clients, identification of their needs and the writing of offers.
- evaluate the sustainability of various renewable energy systems using a combination of tools and approaches (energy systems modelling, LCA, scenario analysis and other tools).
- ensure innovation in our field by further developing and integrating LCA and energy systems modelling methodologies via digitalisation and data processing.
- actively extend your national and international network to improve scientific excellence and expand the team’s portfolio of research-based, knowledge-intensive consultancy activities.
- make a tangible contribution to increase industrial sustainability through innovation projects in which new solutions are developed based upon the group research activities
The candidate must have the following requirements:
- a Master degree in a relevant discipline (engineering, sustainability science, programming etc.).
- At least 2 years of proven working experience in the field of (renewable) energy and/or sustainability.
- Experience/familiarity with both LCA (or other sustainability tools) and energy systems analysis
- Interest in synthesizing science-based results into usable and impactful advices and tools for public and industrial clients
- A customer-oriented attitude with an eye for new opportunities.
- A creative, flexible independent and scientifically critical thinker and doer attitude with good networking and communication skills.
Having some of the following qualities can give you a competitive edge:
- A PhD and experience with research projects
- Experience with programming (e.g. Python) and/or advanced LCA software (Brightway, Activity Browser, etc.) and/or data processing.
- Experience in writing quotations, research project proposals or tenders and in managing them.
- Knowledge of Dutch
- If you're tired of the frequent commute, you've come to the right place. We work 'activity based', our activities bring us to our location. Our EnergyVille office is in Genk, here we meet at least once a week. Part-time work from home, our headquarter in Mol, or working from a satellite office in Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent or Ostend is possible.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits including allowances, insurances, and a modular vacation package.
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we offer our employees the opportunity to follow additional training courses and stay up to date in their field of expertise. You always get the opportunity to broaden your knowledge on for example sustainability assessment tools.
- You will be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy.
- With us, you will contribute directly to sustainable developments at local, national, and global level through your innovative applications. You provide an answer to today’s societal challenges.
- Moreover, at VITO we attach great importance to work-life balance. We do this by being flexible, depending on your specific needs.