Geen Nederlandse vacaturetekst beschikbaar, gezien goede kennis van het Engels noodzakelijk is voor deze positie.
VITO/EnergyVille is looking for a (prospective) life cycle assessment (LCA) expert to strengthen the Sustainable Energy Systems Assessment & Modelling (SESAM) team.
EnergyVille is a collaboration between the Belgian research partners VITO, KU Leuven, imec and UHasselt in the fields of sustainable energy. SESAM is a dynamic, multidisciplinary team of researchers with strong international connections to academic, research, and industrial organizations working on the development of energy system models and sustainability assessment frameworks to explore long-term scenarios with a 2050 horizon. Our energy system thinking approach is applied to renewable energy technologies including (but not limited to) Power-to-X, carbon capture and sequestration, batteries and solar cells.
The team is looking for a researcher willing to work on the sustainability assessment of new technologies using (prospective) LCA and further develop this method via its integration with energy systems models so to contribute to a more sustainable economy.
In your position as LCA researcher in our team, you will:
- work as a researcher in funded research projects (e.g. Horizon EUROPE) and scientific work for governments and/or industry.
- asses the present and future environmental impacts of energy technologies such as batteries, solar cells, Power-to-X technologies.
- evaluate the sustainability of various renewable energy systems using (prospective) LCA in combination with other tools and approaches (e.g. energy systems modelling and scenario analysis).
- ensure innovation in the field through further development and improvement of (prospective) LCA methodology, scenario analysis, digitalization.
- make a tangible contribution to increase industrial sustainability through projects in which new solutions are developed based upon the group research activities
- be responsible for cooperation within national and European research consortia and expand your network with Belgian and European governments and industrial partners.
- You have a Master's degree in a relevant domain (engineering, environmental science, computer science etc.). A PhD and experience with scientific publishing are a plus.
- You have experience with LCA. Knowledge of ex-ante / prospective LCA and/or energy systems analysis are a plus.
- Experience with advanced LCA software (in particular Brightway, Activity Brower) and with programming (e.g. Python) is an asset.
- You are a flexible and a result-oriented team player able to work autonomously.
- You are adept at writing clear and comprehensible reports.
- Knowledge of Dutch is an added value but not required.
- You have real impact as you look for innovative solutions for today's challenges.
- You are supported by helpful colleagues that are eager to share their expertise in the field.
- You will be part of an organization where we show integrity and always strive for mutual benefit in close cooperation with all parties involved.
- VITO/EnergyVille is an international organisation: 40 different nationalities work with us.
- We work ‘activity based’: our activities determine our workplace. On average we meet 2 times a week in our office in Genk (Monday & most of the time also Thursday). For the other days you can work from home, Genk or work remotely at one of our satellite offices (for example Antwerpen-Berchem) depending on the needs of the activity.
- You will learn life-long and develop your skills further by using the newest of the latest technologies that you can test on the market yourself.
- We consider work-life balance to be of paramount importance at VITO. We are open to discuss your needs at any time and we have a flexible approach to finding solutions.