The goal of Industrial Research Fund (lOF) at KU Leuven, is to accelerate the transfer of knowledge and innovations arising from strategic basic research to the market. A team of more than 40 experienced Innovation Managers, embedded within research groups throughout the University and University Hospital, achieve this goal primarily by establishing mutually beneficial, collaborative relationships with a broad range of external partners in industry, academia, as well as national and regional public-private organizations.
You will manage the innovation/exploitation of the valorization and IP portfolio and novel developments in the REINFORCE program. Additionally, you will introduce the tools and expertise from REINFORCE to stakeholders in industry/society, and create a program in which both industry and the research groups are strengthened. Finally, you will be responsible for the scouting and acquisition of EU, national and regional projects with a high economic/societal finality.
Your responsibilities include:
- Managing the valorization and IP portfolio of the REINFORCE program;
- Supporting the valorization trajectory from research results towards industrial/societal reality. This could entail active involvement in writing and shaping patents and licenses or support spin-off creation, in consultation with the KU Leuven Technology Transfer Office;
- Supporting the individual researchers and teams within the REINFORCE program to identify the most suitable valorization strategy for applied research results, starting from an intimate knowledge of the expertise and strengths of the REINFORCE consortium;
- Identifying new leads for research collaborations and new grant application opportunities;
- Participating in the development of and collaborating in European/national/regional consortia;
- Managing new and ongoing research projects with a clear valorization track (scientifically, financially, follow-up & reporting), such as bilateral, VLAIO, flux50, KU Leuven C3, EU Green Deal, and EU Horizon Europe projects and fellowships, also in collaboration with EnergyVille;
- Promoting the research and valorization program at conferences, networking meetings and on-site company visits, while further developing the REINFORCE online presence (website, PR, Social network) to create impact through sustainable business activities.
The Innovation Manager will be fully integrated in both research groups of the program, and coordinate the valorization through regular meetings with the PI’s of both research teams.
- PhD or equivalent research expertise in engineering and experience in strategic research management;
- Background in thermo-mechanical energy conversion, energy systems and markets, and appreciate multidisciplinarity;
- An entrepreneurial mindset with some experience in business development and valorization;
- Familiar with European and national/regional applied research funding schemes;
- Experience in (applying for), amongst others, European projects, regional projects with industry involvement, bilateral cooperation projects, etc.;
- Strong communication and negotiation skills, including international and intercultural;
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken;
- Collaborative spirit (friendly, flexible and approachable) and dedicated team-worker;
- Creative, well-organized and enthusiastic can-do mentality;
- Genuine appetite for personal learning;
- Excellent (grant) writing skills;
You work in Leuven and Genk, but you should regularly perform company visits and participate in conferences/workshops and other events across the globe.
An exciting and challenging job, focused on continuous innovation and development in a transdisciplinary and international context. We offer a permanent position as Innovation Manager of the Industrial Research Fund (IOF) at KU Leuven, a world famous university.