The Energy Policy, Innovation & Circularity team (EPIC) in Vito/EnergyVille provides science and fact-based advice in four expertise areas: Energy and Climate Policy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment and Circularity (LCA), Policy Innovation in the Built Environment and Societal Aspects of the Energy Transition. The EPIC team is part of EnergyVille, a collaboration between the Belgian research partners VITO, KU Leuven, imec and UHasselt in the fields of sustainable energy and intelligent energy systems.
We are looking for a driven Data Engineer to support our interdisciplinary team.
- You are involved in applied research projects and in contract-based research, i.e. directly for customers from the public and private sector.
- Together with a team of colleagues, you are responsible for designing concepts for data capture, data handling and the design of databases and visualizations. From the conceived concept, you collaborate with the internal research teams for the actual development of the solution for the respective projects. You will for example support with the development of a digital building logbook. This new concept will capture all relevant data of the built environment for a country and beyond with respect to embedded materials and operational energy consumption, today and in the future.
- You try to improve existing and implement new standard data processes for research activities, business intelligence and advanced analytics.
- You are involved in the development of best practices and governance in data engineering quality and automation towards a more data centric approach.
- You will provide expert support for the existing team of data analysts, engineers and scientists to increase the maturity level of the Data Science Engineering within the team. Together, you align on data handling approaches, data governance, the development of a common toolset and the construction of a central data-platform.
- You take the lead internally for improving the IT architecture of our solutions, coordinating with the relevant energy researchers, other data engineers, IT professionals, and with the project team on the side of our partners and customers. This with a focus on customer-centric and quality service delivery.
- You hold a Master's degree and have at least 3 years of relevant work experience
- You have sound knowledge of/experience with relational database systems (Microsoft SQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, …), ETL processes and database management.
- You are aware of the best practices in data management (e.g. in data governance, data security, integrity, etc.), data architecture design and development and are able to communicate these concepts to others.
- You have experience with building dashboards and reports in Tableau, Power BI or equivalent business intelligence tools.
- You feel confident and equipped to take the lead for the realisation of your concept into an operational solution. This in consultation with energy researchers, other data engineers, data scientists and the IT application development team.
- You have and interest/affinity with scientific research and/or energy systems.
- Our working language is English. Knowledge of Dutch is an advantage.
- You have real impact as you look for innovative solutions for today's challenges.
- You are supported by helpful colleagues that are eager to share their expertise in the field.
- You will be part of an organization where we show integrity and always strive for mutual benefit in close cooperation with all parties involved.
- VITO/EnergyVille is an international organisation: 40 different nationalities work with us.
- We work ‘activity based’: our activities determine our workplace. On average we meet 2 times a week in our EnergyVille office in Genk. For the other days you can work from home, Genk or work remotely at one of our satellite offices depending on the needs of the activity.
- You will learn life-long and develop your skills further by using the newest of the latest technologies that you can test on the market yourself.
- We consider work-life balance to be of paramount importance at VITO. We are open to discuss your needs at any time and we have a flexible approach to finding solutions.