A number of provinces, cities and commercial entities (NL, B) are already developing plans for demonstration projects on solar energy generation on and along road infrastructure (>4M€ before 2022) .
This Interreg project will bring together the required consortium partners and enable them to realize such demonstration projects more effectively. It will do so by developing and testing the required thin film solar module materials and, based on the existing experience with silicon solar cells, by developing more effective strategies to incorporate them into road pavements and -furniture.
The project will demonstrate real size test elements at Thor Campus (Genk) and Wijk van Morgen (between Aachen and Heerlen), and promote validation in infrastructural investments. However, actual infrastructure investments will be treated as pro memori in the here proposed EMR project.
Four work packages are foreseen in collaboration with regional SME's:
- Adaptation of flexible PV modules,
- Integration and testing of solar modules in road construction elements
- Smart electrical interconnection, and
- Validation and industrialization.
- Eindhovens Dagblad | Solliance in Eindhoven leidt Europees project voor zonnecellen in de weg
- Standaard | Rijden over zonnepanelen
- Het Belang van Limburg | Rijden over zonnepanelen
- Imec Magazine | Can we integrate solar cells in sound barriers, cycle paths and motorways
This project is supported by the Interreg V-A Euregio Meuse-Rhine programme and with extra financial support from the Province of Limburg for the Limburg partners.