The amount of lithium metal and ion batteries transported by air has been in constant growth. However, lithium batteries may have been the cause, or contributed to, uncontrolled fires that led to the loss of three cargo aircraft between 2006 and 2011.
The Sabatair project
The Sabatair project evaluated novel and tailored packaging solutions and other operational measures aimed at the safe transportation of both lithium metal and lithium ion batteries on board an aircraft - passenger and cargo alike. The effectiveness of these solutions and measures underwent validation through a series of desk/modelling studies and experimental tests, representative of the environmental and operating conditions encountered in air transport. The tests resulted in a risk assessment guideline and enable tools to support air transport operators in using such solutions and measures in their daily operations.
Are you active in transport by air, battery development or just interested in lithium ion technologies, then make sure to register. All results, packaging solutions and tools developed during the project will be presented during the final closing event.
- 09:30 – 10:00: Registration & welcome coffee
- 10:00 – 10:10: Welcome speech by Robert Missen, Head of unit, Research and Innovation DG MOVE
- 10:10 - 11:10:
- Status of transport of Lithium batteries by air - by Enzo Canari, Cabin Safety and Fire Protection specialist in the EASA Certification Directorate
- Sabatair project introduction - by Khiem Trad (on behalf of the Sabatair consortium), Project manager Energy Storage at EnergyVille/VITO
- 11:10 – 11:30: Networking coffee break
- 11:30 - 12:30:
- New packaging performance standard for safe transport of Lithium batteries by air - by Claude Chanson, Corporate General Manager at RECHARGE Batteries
- Contribution of the Sabatair project to the SAE G27 working group - by Steven Burns (on behalf of the Sabatair consortium), Commercial director at Impact Solutions
- Lithium Batteries: Blessing and Curse - by Stefan Sauerbier, DHL Senior Director at Global/Regional Restricted Commodity Group
- 12:30 – 14:00: Networking lunch
- 14:00 – 15:20:
- Aircraft Operator (UPS) Lithium Battery Transport Risk Mitigations - by Alex McCulloch, UPS International Dangerous Goods Manager
- Multi-layer approach developed during the Sabatair project - by Niles Fleischer (on behalf of the Sabatair consortium), CEO and Co-founder of ALGOLION
- Cargo-C Battery fire test results - by André Freiling (on behalf of the Sabatair consortium), Expert Fire Protection and Detection at Airbus Operations GmbH
- Packaging issues and testing requirements - by Tharindu Senanayaka, Business Unit Manager at Cargo Amsafe Bridport.
- 15:20 – 15:45: Networking coffee break
- 15:45 – 16:25:
- Risk assessments on aircraft level & safe transport of lithium batteries - by Andreas Vahl, Managing director at SAREL Consult GmbH
- Risk assessment guideline to the safe transport of lithium batteries by air - by Mats O. Bäckström (on behalf of the Sabatair consortium), Certified Dangerous Goods Professional, CEO/Co-founder DG Safety Group
- 16:25 – 17:00: Panel discussion
- Panel members: Enzo Canari (EASA), Alex McCulloch (UPS), Claude Chanson (RECHAGE), André Freiling (Airbus)
- 17:00 – 18:00: Networking Cocktail
14 November 2019
Les Ateliers des Tanneurs
Meeting room: Halle Vitrée
How to get there?
The event is free of charge but registration is mandatory.
Cancellation policy: Should you be unable to attend the event, a substitute delegate is welcome at no extra charge.
Not able to attend or find a substitute? Please make sure to inform the event team at least 7 days before the start of the event. We hope you understand that without notice, a no-show fee of 50 euros will be charged. Thanks for understanding.