North-sea energy plan for transition to sustainable wind energy
This seminar will shed light on the challenges and steps involved in preparing the power system for the increased transmission of high-power electricity over longer distances.
The seminar will focus on the status of the North Sea wind energy situation and discuss the cost-optimal path to carbon neutrality by 2050. Specifically, we will delve into the fact that from 2040, around half of Belgium's electricity production will come from offshore wind, with the amount of electricity generated from offshore wind surpassing Belgium's total electricity demand.
We will also highlight the NEPTUNE project, which has played a crucial role in providing knowledge on the challenges of offshore grid development and operating such grids using DC technology. The project has focused on efficient grid planning, reliable protection measures, and stable grid operation control.
Join us to gain valuable insights into the future of offshore wind energy and the necessary steps to ensure a successful transition.
10.00h: Welcome & introduction, Prof. Dirk van Hertem (EnergyVille / KU Leuven)
10.15h: Vision on Offshore wind energy, Minister of Energy Tinne Van der Straeten
10.30h: Keynote: Modern power systems dominated by power electronics and HVDC,
Prof. Oriol Gomis Bellmunt, (UPC)
11.00h: Offshore and Onshore Grid Planning, Hakan Ergun, Ph.D (EnergyVille / KU Leuven)
- Dr. Jay Dave, (Consultant Siemens AG)
- PhD. Kristof Philips, (EnergyVille / KU Leuven)
12.00h: Protection strategies and algorithms, Willem Leterme, Ph.D (EnergyVille / KU Leuven)
- Dr. Mudar Abedrabbo, (EnergyVille / KU Leuven)
- Ing. Rick Loenders (EnergyVille / KU Leuven)
13.00h: Lunch & posters
14.30h: Control interaction identification and mitigation, Prof. Jef Beerten (EnergyVille / KU Leuven)
- Dr. Ozgur Can Sakinci, (EnergyVille / KU Leuven)
- Prof. Goran Grdenic, (Department of Energy and Power Systems, University of Zagreb)
15.30h: Valorization & roadmap, Prof. Jef Beerten (EnergyVille / KU Leuven)
15.45h: Keynote: To HVDC or not to HVDC, Prof. Nicolaos A. Cutululis
(Department of Wind and Energy Systems, DTU)
16.15h: Panel discussion, Prof. Jef Beerten
- Prof. Jef Beerten, Electrical Energy Systems and Applications, EnergyVille / KU Leuven
- Dr. Mian Wang, Senior Consultant Network Studies, Siemens Energy
- Dhr, Tom Pietercil, Head of Department Engineering Standards & Expertise, Elia
- Prof. Nicolaos A. Cutululius, Department of Wind and Energy Systems, DTU
17.00h: Closing, Prof. Dirk van Hertem, followed by reception
We look forward to welcoming you!
Register here for the closing event:
With the support of the Energy Transition Fund.