As a Flemish, internationally recognized research centre, VITO aims to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world.
Working in our Thermal Energy Systems group you will be involved in several research and knowledge-intensive consultancy projects related to thermal energy conversion technologies and related components, with a particular attention to heat exchangers. You will use your modelling and simulation skills to analyze and design relevant concepts/solutions using appropriate CFD-software tools. In this respect, expertise in high-fidelity simulation methods such as LES and DNS is a plus. As far as CFD-software tools are concerned, hands-on experience of OpenFoam but also SU2, and ANSYS platform is appreciated. Eventually, you will collaborate in the design, realization, and testing of prototypes using additive manufacturing (3D-printing) techniques.
You will be based in VITO/EnergyVille in Thor Park Genk, Belgium.
In the ‘Thermal energy systems’ group you will be a member of the research team on heat conversion technologies/devices, with special focus on heat exchangers. You work in teams with multi-disciplinary expertise and are able to communicate and work with people with a different field of expertise.
- You are involved in research and knowledge-intensive consultancyprojects as a team member with also practical responsibilities and interaction with industrial parties.
- You can simulate using appropriate software tools relevant/novel solutions related to heat transfer devices.
- Possibly, you will grow into a position with aim
- translate theoretical designs/solutions resulted from modelling/simulations into practical designs/prototypes to be realized using additive manufacturing eventually.
- Possibly, you assist in the design of test set-ups (with appropriate instrumentation) and the required experiments to validate and optimize these designs/prototypes.
- You communicate research and project results in clear and high-quality reports, and presentations to relevant stakeholders, including industry and academia.
- Potential opportunity to grow via this function into a PhD trajectory.
- You hold a master degree in Engineering or Applied Mathematics. Work experience in a R&D environment is a bonus.
- You have knowledge about today's energy systems (especially thermal energy systems).
- You have good modelling/simulation skills, especially with CFD-tools (SU2,OpenFoam , ANSYS, Comsol,…) and are willing to invest in these skills.
- You have experience with thermodynamic modelling of heat conversion systems/technologies/devices.
- You are familiar with Python and/or other programming software. Knowledge of Modelica is a bonus.
- Linguistic requirements for this job: English. Knowledge of Dutch is a bonus.
- Having knowledge on additive manufacturing (3D printing) is a bonus.
- Junior profiles are welcome to apply!
- If you're tired of the frequent commute, you've come to the right place. We work 'activity based', our activities bring us to our location. Our EnergyVille office is in Genk. Part-time work from home, our headquarter in Mol, or working from a satellite office in Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent or Ostend is possible.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits including allowances, insurances, and a modular vacation package.
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we offer our employees the opportunity to follow additional training courses and stay up to date in their field of expertise. You always get the opportunity to broaden your knowledge on BMS applications and their components towards innovative and robust designs and solutions.
- You will be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy.
- With us, you will contribute directly to sustainable developments at local, national, and global level through your innovative applications. You provide an answer to today’s societal challenges.
- Moreover, at VITO we attach great importance to work-life balance! We do this by being flexible, depending on your specific needs.