This page presents the research on HVDC performed within the Power Systems Research group of EnergyVille. The focus of the HVDC research is on power system aspects of HVDC, both including AC system and DC system aspects.
Current HVDC research topics:
- Hybrid AC/DC system models
- AC/DC interactions
- Ancillary services in power systems with HVDC grids
- Protection of meshed HVDC grids
- System development for hybrid AC/DC grids
Resources for research on HVDC grids:
- MatACDC (a free MATLAB based open source program for AC/DC power flow analysis)
- Four-terminal HVDC grid test system (an open-source PSCAD based HVDC grid test system, in co-operation with E2C, KTH)
People at EnergyVille involved in HVDC research:
- Post-Doctoral Researchers
- Research Assistants
Current involvement in projects related to HVDC:
- NEPTUNE: North-sea Energy Plan for Transition to Sustainable Wind Energy
- PROMOtioN (Progress on Meshed HVDC Offshore Transmission Networks)
- InnoDC (Innovative Tools for Offshore Wind and HVDC grids)
- Industrial Project with Borealis (Cost Benefit Analysis Tool)
- Industrial Project with Mitsubishi Electric (HVDC Grid Protection)
- HVDC Pro (HVDC Inertia Provision)
- Geiri HVDC (Planning methodology for HVDC interconnectors)
- ABB Research Award in Honor of Hubertus von Gruenberg
- FWO Postdoctoral Fellowship: High-Bandwidth Dynamic Interactions in Future DC Power Systems
- FWO-VITO PhD Fellowship: Stability Analysis of Future DC Power Systems
- FWO project: Dynamic Cross-coupling of Harmonic Interactions through Multi-modular Converters in HVDC grids
Past involvement in projects related to HVDC:
- MEDOW (Multi-terminal DC grid for offshore wind)
- TRIP (Transmission Investment Planning)
- I-Tesla (Innovative Tools for Electrical System Security within Large Areas)
- FWO Postdoctoral Fellowship: Integration of Multi-Terminal VSC HVDC links in meshed grids
- FWO PhD Fellowship: Communication-less protection algorithms for meshed HVDC grids
Involvement in Cigré working groups:
B4-64 "Impact of AC System Characteristics on the Performance of HVDC Schemes"
B4-70 "Guide for Electromagnetic Transient Studies involving VSC converters"
B4/B1/C4.73 "Surge and extended overvoltage testing of HVDC Cable Systems"
B4-74 "Guide to Develop Real-Time Simulation Models (RTSM) for HVDC Operational Studies"
B4-52 "HVDC Grid Feasibility Study"
B4-56 "Guidelines for Preparation of Connection Agreements or Grid Codes for HVDC Grids"
B4-58 "Devices for Load flow Control and Methodologies for Direct Voltage Control in a Meshed HVDC Grid"
B4/B5-59 "Control and Protection of HVDC grids"
Past HVDC research in the research team (Ph.D. Theses):
Control Interactions in Power Systems with Multiple VSC HVDC Converters (Alejandro Bayo Salas)
- Communication-less Protection Algorithms for Meshed VSC HVDC Cable Grids (Willem Leterme)
- Interaction of HVDC Grids and AC Power Systems: Operation and Control (Robert Renner)
- Grid Planning for the Future Grid: Optimizing Topology and Technology Considering Spatial and Temporal Effects (Hakan Ergun)
- Modeling and Control of DC Grids (Jef Beerten)
- Optimal Operation of Hybrid AC/DC Meshed Grids (Johan Rimez)
- Steady-state and dynamic modelling of VSC HVDC systems for power system simulation (Stijn Cole)